Zamárdi is an ancient village of 2,522 inhabitants lying westward to Siófok, between the tongues of Külső-Somogy hill-country and the shore of Balaton. It is easily accessible on road, on the motorway or by rail. A nice and busy resort place, popular primarily with families with small children.

Findings from the Iron age were excavated in its territory but the most outstanding finding is the partly excavated, extraordinarily rich cemetery of Avars. The settlement was first mentioned in records in 1082. The ancient settlement was completely destroyed by the Turks at the end of the 16th century. The village was repopulated by the abbots of Tihany in the 1740s. The baroque Roman Catholic church was built on a high ground above the railway station between 1771 and 1774. The church is the centre of the village today. Its high altar, pulpit and christening basin are protected historic monuments.
The most beautiful old building of Zamárdi is the House of Regional Traditions (83 Fő street) built in 1847 by a descendant of a villein family settled here. It is a characteristic Balaton house with a verandah; it is interesting that all rooms open on the verandah and there is a free chimney in the kitchen. The furniture of the house shows the lifestyle of a wealthy peasant.

The exhibition of the House of Regional Traditions is completed by the collection of ethnography at 115 Fő street. From the look-out tower on Kőhegy you can enjoy a wonderful view of Lake Balaton and the local vineyards.

The nearly 3 km long continuous grassy free beach on the lake shore with a wonderful panorama attracts many visitors. The safety of the bathers is guaranteed by the free medical service and a rescue team. In the peak season a free playing house is available for children. Parking is free in the whole territory of the village.

Further information:

Pictures of Zamárdi
Zamárdi map nagyítása >>


Hungary - Zamárdi

Ungarn - Zamárdi

Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2024

Tuesday, 16. July 2024. - 09:04:29