Lake-shore areas of the city of 5,165 inhabitants are completely built together with the neighbouring areas of Balatonszemes and Balatonboglár by now. Resort area lies on the former flood plain of the Balaton while the old village is built on the loessy tongues of Somogy hills. Well-kept vineyards providing excellent wines lie on the hills surrounding the city from the south. Bays of the ancient Balaton running out far behind the hills of Lelle. Important roads were constructed on these hills already at the time of the Romans. The so-called Military Road came from Aquincum and ran via Kanizsa and Dalmatia down to the Adriatic sea; the Great Road ran to the west in the direction of the current Kaposvár and Szigetvár. The two roads were branched off at the current city centre (next to the Roman Catholic church) where formerly the eldest church of the southern shore of Balaton called St. Clement Cathedral stood. The Cathedral is mentioned in the document of foundation of the Benedictine Abbey of Tihany (1055), too, the famous "military road to Fehérvár" ran through the city here. Besides agricultural activities, the inhabitants earned their living from fishing and viniculture. In 1848 the city was granted the title 'market-town' together with the right of organizing national fairs. After 1856 the city became the domain of the Szalay and Jankovich families. The larger holiday houses were built from 1924, in 1979 Lelle was united with Balatonboglár, however, the two cities were separated in 1991. Nicest area of the resort city is St. Stephen square of Mediterranean atmosphere next to the railway station, and the promenade starting from here. A modern church built of red sand-stones stands on the place of the cathedral of the 11th century. Szalay castle (currently a community centre) built in neo-Classic style in 1838 lies in the park at the junction of Kossuth street and the long-distance road No. 7. This building houses the Africa Museum, too. Open-air stage for 1,200 persons and the city library are located in this park, too. Baroque mansion of the Jankovich family handed over in 1812 was built up on the hill opposite the Catholic church (currently a school). The Kapoli Museum is in a nicely renovated peasant house built at the end of 1700s in Kossuth street. The works of senior and junior Antal Kapoli shepherds, masters of carving, as well as the works of art of sculptor Miklós Ligeti, student of Rodin, are exhibited here. Temporary exhibitions of fine arts in the hall of the Museum, in the community house and in the library in summer. The town is proud of its new town hall and the spectacular building of the police station. The park with a pleasure bath for adults and children has been opened. It provides a wide range of entertainment for bathers. In the centre St. Stephen square and the pedestrian streets starting from here have been renewed and covered with decoration stones. The new, spectacular fountain is nicely lit in the evenings. Each Saturday evening organ concerts in the Catholic church in summer. Performances of amateur artistic groups on St. Stephen square. Outstanding events in Balatonlelle include the July festival, Lelle Wine Week Festival and the Regional Strudel Baking Competition. The Rádi Music Evenings and the Ceasar Evenings are popular, too. 3 km southward to Lelle, on a path running between vineyards, we can get to Kishegy where a Baroque chapel consecrated in honour of St. Donat in 1758 can be visited. A vine-dresser's house and cellar built in the 1700s stand opposite the chapel. Park woods of 136 hectares around the chapel provide the facility of a pleasant and cool walk in the summer heat. Rád-farmstead (Rád-puszta) can be reached by car and also on foot (via Irma-puszta and the fish-ponds) where the ruins of a Romanesque chapel built in the 13th century and a few old grave-stones lie on the bank of Tetves brook. Domanial buildings belonging to the domains of Festetics family in the village. Boggy woods surrounding the farmstead are recommended for the lovers of untouched nature. In 2004 Balatonlelle was awarded "the blue wave flag" for the excellent quality of water and its Sunshine beach was given the title of the the most flowery beach of Balaton region. Visitors appreciate the fact that PARKING IS FREE IN THE WHOLE TERRITORY OF THE TOWN!

Pictures of Balatonlelle
Balatonlelle map nagyítása >>


Hungary - Balatonlelle

Ungarn - Balatonlelle

Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018

Saturday, 24. March 2018. - 20:56:51