in Balatonalmádi:   Hotel - Sight - Wellness, Spa - Travel Service - Business Travel

The country changes from the western shore of Fűzfő bay; loess coverage is replaced by hills of red sand-stones and vineyards of red ground. Almádi of 8,500 inhabitants is a real resort place. It is developed from four, previously separated villages built together. Its north-eastern part is the ancient village Vörösberény, which was endowed by King St. Stephen around 1020 to the nunnery of Veszprémvölgy established at that time. Upon passing of the Turkish rule the territory became the property of Jesuits, and after the dissolution of their order, the village was devolved on the treasury. The name Almádi and then Almádi-puszta originally belonged to the vineyard located at the place of the current city centre. Vineyards were destroyed by the phylloxera epidemic at the end of the last century; weekend houses and villas were built in the neighbourhood of the new plantations, beach life started again. Development was accelerated by the hand-over of the railroad in 1909. Current territory of the city was created by annexing Káptalanfüred and then Vörösberény to Almádi. Calvinist church strengthened with a stone wall, unique in Balaton highlands, can be found in the Vörösberény district of the city, on Veszprém road. The church first mentioned in documents in 1297 was built in Roman-Gothic style and received a baroque tower mitre in 1789. The Roman Catholic church is in a short distance from here, towards Balaton; it was built between 1777 and 1779 in baroque style. The frescoes of the church are really wonderful, they had been painted by Ferenc Bucher, painter of Veszprém. The building of the old monastery of Jesuits built in baroque style in the middle of the 17th century is located in the neighbourhood of the church. Granary building of 60 metres built in the 17th century on the other side of the street; a huge cellar is hidden under the building. The Home of Hungarian Wines and Wine Museum presenting and offering the excellent wines of all the wine regions of Hungary will be opened in this building in the near future. The St. Right Hand Chapel of the secessionist Roman Catholic church in the Dr. Óvári Ferenc street. This chapel had been located in the Buda Castle (relic of King Stephen had been saved there) but in 1957 it was pulled down and rebuilt here. The chapel is decorated by the famous mosaic of St. Stephen by Miksa Róth. A piece, a fragment of the Holy Right hand of Saint Stephen has been preserved here since 20th August 2001. On 5 November 2005, on the 75th anniversary of the dedication of the church a relic of St. Imre, who the church was named after, was placed here. The fragment is preserved in the church. Nice walk in the Old Park (Öregpark) at the shore of Balaton where, besides the sculptures of Petőfi, Rákóczi and Kossuth, three monuments can be visited, too. The Summer Festival of Almádi awaits visitors with a wide variety of programmes every weekend from the beginning of June to the middle of September. Great event for the lovers of classical music is the concert series of old music organized by the Vörösberény Catholic church. Famous summer programmes of the city are the International Fishing Competition at the end of May or at the beginning of June, the Swan-ball opening the season in the middle of June, merry-making on Peter's and Paul's day at the end of June, the National Meeting of Majorettes and Brass and Reed Bands at the beginning of July and the Almádi Days at the end of July. The Wine Festival of Almádi is held in August. The summer season ends with the vintage procession in the middle of September. 6-km Red Sand-Stone Educational Path starts from Városház square; it introduces the city and its natural values. The Óvári Ferenc look-out tower is one of the stops of this path; visitors can have a nice view of the lake from Kenese up to Tihany from there. Another natural attraction is the Lake Köcsi Study Path. The beaches of the town are gradually reconstructed. The reconstruction of the beach at Káptalanfüred has ended: there is a new building on the beach. The Wesselényi beach has been rebuilt. The impressive Pannónia Cultural Centre and Library organizes programmes of high standard, and it is often the venue - besides the Attic Gallery - for excellent exhibitions in the town, the most outstanding of which is the Balaton Exhibition held every second year from the middle of August to the middle of September. On the ground floor of the building you can find the Tourinform Office of the town.
Parking in the town is free.


Pictures of Balatonalmádi
Balatonalmádi map nagyítása >>


Balatonalmádi


Hungary - Balatonalmádi


Ungarn - Balatonalmádi


Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018 IranyMagyarorszag.hu

Friday, 22. June 2018. - 07:45:16