in Bokod:  

A village with 2,252 inhabitants. You can get to the village going on M1 highway towards Tatabánya and then going to the south-east through Környe to Oroszlány. The village is situated 6 km west of Oroszlány. There used to be a Roman settlement in the territory. At the time of the Hungarian conquest Slavs lived here. It was first mentioned in records in 1146. Later the name of the village was mentioned in 1326 by György Bokody, who was King Charles Robert's clerk and who probably came from the village. The neighbourhood was King Louis the Great's favourite hunting ground: his hunting mansion called Gerecér, later referred to as Gerencsérvár (Gerencsér castle), was situated near here. After King Albert's death, the widow Queen Elizabeth stayed in the castle for one night with the baby László V. Ilona Kottaner was in the queen's accompaniment with the crown stolen form Visegrád. They left for the coronation held in Székesfehérvár from here. Coal mining started here and in the surrounding villages in the 20th century. The power plant of Vértes was built near the village.

Polgármesteri Hivatal, Bokod
Bokod map nagyítása >>


Hungary - Bokod

Ungarn - Bokod

Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018

Sunday, 25. March 2018. - 00:24:16