The village of 2,750 inhabitants is situated in county Komárom-Esztergom, 9 km from Tata. It was first mentioned in records in 1237 under the names Ruch, Koch. The cart made by the local cartwrights was named after the village of Kocs.
The history of the settlement dates back to the Bronze age. The memory of the age of the Árpáds is preserved by the ruins of a church and a cemetery. In 1727 the territory became the property of the Esterházy family and at that time it already had an inn.
Tekevár is the oldest monument of the village, which has not been excavated yet. The one-time earthwork was built by the nomadic people passing through the territory around 300 years before the age of Árpád. Today only a small hill shows the place of the earthwork. The Roman Catholic St. Michael church was built in the 1300s, next to which a baroque tower was built in 1759. The church was rebuilt in eclectic style in 1880. The Calvinist church was dedicated in 1869, its museum-piece devotional objects are from the 1600s-1700s. Significant buildings include the manor pub designed by Jakab Fellner and built in 1769; the building of the local council, a one-time mansion built in 1820 and rebuilt in 1887; the Village Museum built in 1994 according to the plans by László Páhl; the Regional Museum built in a former cottage presenting the history of the village and the region to visitors.
An outstanding event is the cart pushing competition, which has been held every year since 1999. It is held on 10-11 July this year.