Town with more than 30,000 inhabitants 30 km from Budapest at M3 motorway.

The former Grassalkovich Palace, later a state royal summer residence, is one of the most outstanding examples of rural baroque architecture in Hungary (1744-1750).
Maria Theresa visited the Palace in 1751, and in 1849 it was the general headquarters of the Hungarian Army. After 1867 it functioned as the summer residence of Francis Joseph and Queen Elisabeth.
Hamvay mansion built in the second half of the 17th century is the oldest building of the town, currently used as the Palace Museum.
Relics of the Baroque era include the church of Máriabesnyő known as a famous place of pilgrimage, the Holy Virgin column in the main square of the town (1749) and the Calvary in Erzsébet Park (1771).
The baroque Calvinist church was built in 1745. The famous domed "stable-mansion" is at Babati-puszta.

Colony of artists of European fame settled in Gödöllő between 1901 and 1920; it was the only Art Nouveau association organized in Hungary. With Saint Stephen University (former Premonstrant monastery and secondary school) Gödöllő is a major scientific centre.

Exhibition places include the City Museum, Royal Palace Museum, Museum of Development of Agricultural Instruments and Machines; Apiarian Collection. Prominent programs of the town: Palace Concerts - Chamber-music Festival. A special sight is the Gödöllő Town Library and Information Centre, which can be considered to be a library of the 21th century.


Pictures of Gödöllő
Gödöllő map nagyítása >>


Gödöllő


Hungary - Gödöllő


Ungarn - Gödöllő


Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2017 IranyMagyarorszag.hu

Sunday, 19. November 2017. - 00:17:32