Large village with 5,400 inhabitants on the outskirts of Budapest. The name of the village is the derivative of the word 'dió' (nut), but it is possible that it originates from the family Diód who had their estate here. It is one of our oldest inhabited settlements. It is surrounded by the wreath of Tétényi highland covered with limestones and sandhills. Even in the prehistoric age there were people living here. Extraordinary values of the village include the so-called 'hive-stones' (hive-shaped niches carved into rock) originated from the Bronze Age. Anonymus, the notary of King Béla III. mentioned the village in connection with Árpád's conquest of Hungary. According to the St. Gellért legend it was a church village even in 1046. It also appeared in the struggle for the throne of the kings of Árpáds. The village was destroyed in the Turkish times, it was resettled with Serbs and Germans in the 18th century. Saint Gellert chapel of Baroque style also appearing in the coat-of-arms of the village was built in 1771, according to handed-down tradition, on the place where the martyr bishop celebrated mass for the last time. The Roman Catholic church erected in the centre of the village was consecrated in 1896. Baroque statues of Nepomuk Saint John and Saint Florian are placed on the main square in front of the church. Museum of the Radio and Television opened in 1995, on the 70th anniversary of the commencement of radio broadcasting in Hungary. Permanent exhibition of the Museum is entitled 'History of radio and television broadcasting in Hungary from the very beginning till today'.

Polgármesteri Hivatal, Diósd
Diósd map nagyítása >>


Hungary - Diósd

Ungarn - Diósd

Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018

Friday, 23. March 2018. - 17:55:15