in Gyügye:   Sight

The church of the small village along the river Szamos was mentioned as early as 1284. The rich Gothic elements of the brick building suggest a rebuilding which probably took place in the 15th century. It was probably rebuilt again in the 18th century. The painted wall ceiling was made in the last stage of the work. According to a plaque, the wooden ceiling was completed on 12 October 1767. In the nave of the church fifty six, in the sanctuary twenty five coffers were placed. Most of the panels present figural scenes, Calvinist biblical symbols: the Sun and the Moon, a bunch of grapes, cereals, palm trees, a Pelican, as the symbol of Christ, the whale swallowing Jonah, Noe’s Arch with the pigeon. The benches and the gallery, the sounding board and the basket of the pulpit and the Moses’ chair were made at the beginning of the 19th century in the style of the age of Louis XIV. The tower, which was built a few metres from the sanctuary, was given its present-day form in the middle of the 19th century.


Pictures of Gyügye
Gyügye map nagyítása >>


Gyügye


Hungary - Gyügye


Ungarn - Gyügye


Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018 IranyMagyarorszag.hu

Sunday, 24. June 2018. - 14:26:30