in Vaja:   Sight - Travel Service

Large village with 3,906 inhabitants 15 km west of Mátészalka. Vaja is an old settlement: historians found the first record about the village in a document from the end of the 13th century. The former Vay castle was built in Renaissance style, now it houses the Vay Ádám Museum. It is worth seeing the exhibition on Rákóczi and Rákóczi's War of Independence. In 1703 Rákóczi had a discussion on the starting of the war of independence with Ádám Vay in the Rákóczi room on the second floor and later he had a talk with General Pálffy about the conditions of a possible peace treaty in the same place. The fresco on the ceiling of the room shows how Titusz Vay rescued King Sigismund in the battle of Nikapol (1396). There is a Kuruts gallery of sculptures in the park of the castle. The Calvinist church was built in the 14th century, it is of Gothic origin, the tower is from 1824. The grave and obelisk of Ádám Vay, the marshal of Ferenc Rákóczi II., can be seen in front of it. The house of the Regional Traditions is situated in a peasant-house built in the second half of the 19th century. Near the village you can find the Lake of Vaja, or Old-Lake, the natural value of which is the sudd.


Pictures of Vaja
Vaja map nagyítása >>


Vaja


Hungary - Vaja


Ungarn - Vaja


Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018 IranyMagyarorszag.hu

Monday, 24. September 2018. - 20:26:57