in Vámosatya:   Sight

The village is situated at the river Csaronda, on the left bank of the Tisza, 75-80 km from Nyíregyháza. It is accessible from road No. 41 coming from Vásárosnamény and turning right after going over the Tisza bridge, or by going straight and taking the road from Csaroda, Gelénes. It is situated 5 km from the prospective eastern border of Schengen. The settlement called Atya was probably given its anterior name Vámos after it had been granted a staple right, which showed the significance of the village. The priest of the village called Péter was first mentioned in records in 1321. According to a document from 1341 the church was erected in honour of St. George. The building became the property of the Calvinist congregation around 1565. The region suffered a lot during the 30 years war (1618-48), it was pillaged and partly destroyed. According to documents from 1640 the Calvinist congregation demolished the mediaeval sacristy. The decoration with folk flower motifs, which are similar to the ones in Renaissance wall paintings, were probably made at that time. The present-day church is oriented and square ended. The features of mediaeval architecture are presented by the sacristy, the tiny Gothic loop lights on the southern front, the vaulting of the sanctuary and the southern entrance. The church had preserved its original 14th century form until the reconstruction in the baroque period and according to an inscription in one of the oval coffers the painted wooden ceiling had been made by 1769.

Vámosatya Önkormányzata
Vámosatya map nagyítása >>


Hungary - Vámosatya

Ungarn - Vámosatya

Releases | Impressum
Aerial photos by Civertan Studio
© 1989 - 2018

Thursday, 22. March 2018. - 02:55:49